Working with the Medical Professionals When Your Child Is Blind or Visually Impaired
Many parents want to learn as much as they can about their child’s diagnosis and what the future will look like for their child. Developing an understanding of the different eye care professionals your child may be seen by, questions you can ask, and what you can expect at an appointment will empower you and your child to more clearly understand his visual impairment.
- Do you find yourself wondering what can my child with a visual impairment see?
- What can I expect to happen at the pediatric eye care specialist office?
- What questions should I ask my child’s doctors?
- I have so many questions. What are some common questions families ask?
- The doctor has asked me to do things at home. How do I follow the eye doctor’s directions?
- Do you want to have much of what you need in one printable document? Use the downloadable toolkit for a summary of what you need.
In addition to the answers to these important questions, this section provides information, support, and advice on the following.
- Dealing with the Diagnosis When Your Child Has a Visual Impairment
- Advocating for Your Blind Child
- Eye Care Professionals Who May Work with Your Child
- Low Vision Devices: An Overview
- Common Abbreviations Used by Eye Care Specialists
- The Human Eye: A Diagram
- Visual Impairment: An Overview
- Low Vision Services: An Overview