Eligibility Requirements for the Directory
- An agency must be a nonprofit 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization that provides services for blind or visually impaired people of all ages and the professionals who serve them or a municipal, state or federal government agency that administers or oversees programs and services for people who are blind or visually impaired or offers services to accommodate this population.
- An agency must have been in operation for a minimum of one year.
- An agency must have a minimum of two staff members.
- The services offered by an agency as described in its profile in the Directory must be objectively verifiable or in keeping with APH’s knowledge of the agency.
- An agency must review or update its information at least every twelve months or respond to updating requests from APH.
- An agency must be consistently reachable by the public through at least one form of contact: by phone, email, postal address or contact form on its website.
- For-profit agencies not eligible for 501(c)(3) status must offer any of the following services:
* Manufacture or distribute products and devices adapted to assist people who are blind or visually impaired.
* Produce/publish books, textbooks, and other materials in alternative media or convert specific materials into braille or alternate media for individuals or groups on request.
* Broadcast information, such as newspaper articles, books, and consumer information, to people with visual, physical, and reading disabilities.
Eligibility Requirements for the VisionAware Low Vision Pilot Project
- A low vision or vision rehabilitation service provider must be an independent professional who holds all or any one of the following certifications: low vision therapist (CLVT), certified vision rehabilitation therapist (CVRT), certified O&M specialist (COMS), or specialty certification in low vision (SCLV).
- A private practitioner or group practice not eligible for 501(c)3 status that offers low vision and vision rehabilitation services must have at least one staff member who holds all or any one of the following certifications: low vision therapist (CLVT), certified vision rehabilitation therapist (CVRT), certified O&M specialist (COMS), or specialty certification in low vision (SCLV).
If you do not meet the eligibility requirements to be listed in the directory, but you offer services, such as support groups for people who are blind or visually impaired and would like to post announcements about such services, please send an email to email@example.com
, so we can put them on our calendar of events for you.