Lighthouse of Broward County
650 North Andrews Avenue
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33311
(954) 463 4217
A local group of blind persons, volunteers and professionals formed the Lighthouse of Broward in 1973. Since then, the small agency created to provide social support and recreational activities for blind people has grown into an accredited, full service educational and rehabilitation agency. Every day, the staff at the Lighthouse strives to further its mission to enhance the independence, productivity, and quality of life of children and adults who are blind or visually impaired.
Ellyn Drotzer, Executive Director
Eric Barrette, Director of Technology
Steve Matson, Certified Orientation and Mobility Specialist
LaShonda McDonald, Certified Vision Rehabilitation Therapist
Pat Schneider, Vision Rehabilitation Therapist
Cindy Wolke, TVI, Early Intervention Teacher
Greg Eaton, Director of Operations
Eunice Jackman, Case Manager
Elaine Schiffman, Case Manager
Alyssa Davis, Children's Case Manager
Samantha Groth-Kelly, Manager of Youth Programs
Dolores Hanley-McDiarmid, Publc Awareness
Fabienne Brutus, Administrative Assistant
Jose Lopez Masso, Director of Development and Community Relations
Leticia Vaz, Case Manager
Linda Clark, Evaluator
Rey Murillo, Driver/Custodian
Richard Nieves, Braille Instructor
Tranique Merritt, Executive Assistant
Alexia Serrano, Receptionist
Sunny Musgrave, Receptionist
- Offers evaluation; peer support groups; individual, group, and family counseling; referral to community services. Refers for other counseling/social work services.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides training for children, teens and adults.
Adult training is available in personal management, home management, functional kitchen skills, kitchen safety, adaptive communications skills and devices, keyboarding, braille, computers and adaptive technology, and adjustment to vision loss counseling and support groups. Both center-based instruction and home-based services. Focus is on providing training in independent living skills and skills for vocational rehabilitation.
- Conducts vision and skills screening for all clients.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Provides training in adaptive computer technology, mobile technology, basic computer use, and internet and email.
- Information and Referral
- Provides information on local agencies and government services and refers to other agencies.
- Low Vision Services
- Low vision clinic staffed by Nova Southeastern University optometrist. Prescribes and supplies low vision devices. Followup in our independent living skills training.
- Assistive Products
- Wide array of assistive products available on loan and through Florida Reading and Vision Technology Center retail store, on-site.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training.
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Provides braille instruction.
- Braille/Electronic/Audio/Large Print Production
- Braille menus and other materials requested, except textbooks.
- Support Groups
- Offers support groups.
- Employment/Job Training
- Teaches skills related to identifying personal vocational goals, understanding the expectations of the workplace, building confidence, writing resumes, completing job applications and basic interviewing.
- In-Home Services
- Low Vision Therapy and independent living skills training in home of seniors and frail adults.
- Geriatric Care Management for local seniors and their families (local or out of area) to facilitate aging in place (in one's own home).