San Antonio Lighthouse for the Blind
2305 Roosevelt Avenue
San Antonio, TX 78210
(210) 533 5195
The San Antonio Lighthouse for the Blind creates opportunities for individual independence by providing rehabilitation programs and employment opportunities that measurably improve the lives of blind and visually impaired individuals. Rehabilitation programs in the William Judson Center include Technology Evaluation and Training, WJC School of Business, Literacy, Job Readiness and Placement, and Focus on Seniors. It provides direct services to more than 1,200 individuals each year.
Mike Gilliam, President/CEO, email@example.com, 210 ext.1003
- Offers one-on-one counseling to individuals who may be going through an adjustment phase with vision loss.
- Employment/Job Training
- Offers career guidance, skills assessment, personal and social adjustment, vocational adjustment, occupational skill development, on-the-job training, job retention, job retraining, job readiness, employment assistance, extended employment, service contracts, supported employment, and community job placement.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- This service is provided in the individualâ€™s home and accomplished through one on one instruction to address the following areas: Household Management, Cooking, Personal Finance, Time, Communication, Large Print Materials, Personal Care and Medication Management. The San Antonio Lighthouse for the Blind also provides this training in group settings at the Seniors Center and local retirement communities. The Adaptive Living Skills Trainer will also teach the participant how to effectively utilize community resources. Adaptive aids may be provided to those participants who meet our financial guidelines. Orientation and Mobility Training- Teaches safety techniques for travel including the use of the white cane.
- Library Services
- Maintains a small library of books on tape, descriptive videos, braille books, and large-print books.
- Provides vocational/career guidance and technology assessments.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Offers computer training.
- Assistive Products
- Low vision products for sale on site.
- Information and Referral
- Provides information about Lighthouse services and identifies and networks with community resources.
- Professional Training
- Offers Adaptive Technology for Trainers and Train the Caregiver programs.
- Support Groups
- Has peer/support groups for seniors.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Offers travel training and training in the correct use of a cane.
- Recreation Services
- Low Vision Services
- Provides individuals with a comprehensive eye examination to determine what devices will optimize residual vision. The Vision Rehabilitation Center offers evaluations on low vision, distance, near magnification and driving devices. It also offers computer modification for vision impairment, orientation and mobility, and video electronic magnification services. The clinic is a partnership with the University of Incarnate Word Rosenberg School of Optometry and is located at 310 Eads Avenue, San Antonio Texas 78210.
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Introductory braille classes available at the Seniors Center.
- Consultation/Technical Program Assistance
- The Adaptive Living Skills Trainers provide community support by teaching blindness sensitivity sessions to local retirement and assistive living centers. The trainers work with family members of the visually impaired to address caregiver issues and teach them how to better assist their loved one.