Tampa Lighthouse for the Blind dba Lighthouse for the Blind & Low Vision
1106 West Platt Street
Tampa, FL 33606
(813) 251 2407
Tampa Lighthouse for the Blind provides comprehensive rehabilitation programs for persons who are blind or visually impaired in two locations in Florida. On-site services are provided in Tampa and in Winter Haven for persons residing in Hillsborough, Polk, and surrounding counties. Training is designed to help individuals who have recently lost part or all of their vision to gain the skills needed to perform daily living tasks.
- Offers social evaluations, counseling (individual, group, family/parent, couple), placement in training, referral to community services.
- Employment/Job Training
- Provides vocational evaluation, career and skill counseling, on-the-job training program, vocational placement, supported employment, rehabilitation technology
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides training in personal management, handwriting, communication skills, kitchen skills, typing, use of video magnifiers, home management, sensory training. Offers center-based and community-based instruction.
- Consultation/Technical Program Assistance
- Provides consultation in rehabilitation technology and job analysis to other agencies.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Offers training in the use of personal computer in the home. Training includes navigating the Internet to pay bills, order medications, etc. Vocational computer training teaches operating systems, database software, screen magnification, speech output, video magnifier/CCTV, and word processing. Provides rehabilitation engineering services and scripting.
- Information and Referral
- Provides referral to other agencies and services.
- Low Vision Services
- Provides low vision evaluation and follow-up. Prescribes low vision devices.
- Assistive Products
- Distributes various adaptive aids and devices. Products for sale on site and online.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training.
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Offers braille instruction.
- Services for Students
- Transition program helps blind or visually impaired teens and young adults (14-22) transition into adulthood and employment.
- Recreation Services
- The Lighthouse Social Club provides a monthly opportunity for former and current Lighthouse clients to socialize with friends and enjoy social outings.