Independence for the Blind of West Florida
3107 North Davis Highway
Pensacola, FL 32503
(850) 477 2663
Independence for the Blind of West Florida serves persons who are blind or visually impaired in a ten county area in Northwest Florida. The service area includes Escambia, Santa Rosa, Okaloosa, Walton, Holmes, Bay, Jackson, Washington, Calhoun, and Gulf counties. Services are provided to clients free of charge.
The mission of Independence for the Blind of West Florida is to teach independent living skills, computer and adaptive technology, and provide vocational assessments, training, and employment-related services to people who are blind or visually impaired so they can achieve maximum independence.
Mary Colston, Director of Independent Living Program Quality, firstname.lastname@example.org, 850 477 2663
Shuntay Williams, Finance Specialist, email@example.com, 850 477 2663
John O'Dillon, Director of Vocational Rehabilitation Program Quality, firstname.lastname@example.org, 850 477 2663
Chelsea Clayton, Director of Children's Programs, email@example.com
Raven Holloway, Executive Director, Raven.firstname.lastname@example.org, 850 477 2663
Shonda Walker, Case Coordinator, email@example.com, 850 477 2663
- Employment/Job Training
- Offers vocational training, including, but not limited to, resume writing, interviewing techniques, job seeking, work skills, and job coaching.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides training in, including but not limited to, personal grooming, housekeeping skills, meal preparation, money identification, record keeping, labeling and organization, orientation skills, sighted guides and cane techniques, use of special adaptive devices, family education and support, and reading and writing to include braille.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Offers training for clients on a vocational tract and for others seeking an additional means of communication. The program includes basic computer operation, standard business software, and the use of computer-related adaptive software and technology.
- Consultation/Technical Program Assistance
- Works with vision teachers in Escambia, Santa Rosa, Okaloosa, and Walton Counties to keep them current with technological advances.
- Information and Referral
- Refers to other agencies as needed.
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Provides instruction in Grade 1 and Grade 2 braille reading and the use of Perkins Brailler and slate and stylus.
- Low Vision Services
- Provides low vision assessments to determine magnification strength and training in the use of CCTVs, lamps, and nonoptical aids.
- Community Outreach Programs
- Participates in expos and health fairs to collect information regarding people who need services and referrals through other agencies and telephone community contacts.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides training for home and business travel, use of travel aids, and sighted guide skills.