Metrolina Association for the Blind
704 Louise Avenue
Charlotte, NC 28204
(704) 887 5100
Metrolina Association for the Blind (MAB) is a private non-profit agency that has provided services to blind and visually impaired people since 1934. Its mission is to to reduce or eliminate the daily living problems imposed upon people by blindness or severe visual impairment. It became a member agency of United Way in 1938, an affiliation it continues to enjoy today.
Robert Scheffel, President and CEO, firstname.lastname@example.org, 704 887 5101
- Offers individual, group, family/parent, couple counseling; referral to community services. Refers for other counseling/social work services.
- Employment/Job Training
- Refers for and provides consultation to other agencies for employment-oriented services.
- Recreation Services
- Offers avocational services. Refers for and provides consultation to other agencies for other recreational services.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides training in home management, personal management, communication, money management, computer applications to daily living. Offers a variety of support services.
Personal Adjustment and Rehabilitation Services (PAR) helps people who are blind and visually impaired learn techniques of daily living and ways to increase their independence. Rehabilitation specialists develop a personal relationship with every client in order to understand each person's unique needs and to implement a program tailored to the individual.
- Assistive Products
- Sells braille papers and calendars, braille and large-print books. Resells aids and appliances.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training and advocacy for environmental accessibility.
- Braille/Electronic/Audio/Large Print Production
- Accessible Braille Services includes Textbook Mastering and Copy Services; Statement Rendering Services, which transcribes monthly billing statements for visually impaired people into braille or large print; and Additional Transcription Services, which transcribes other items into braille and large print, including insurance policies, annual reports, legal documents, employee orientation materials, voter ballots, menus, and personal letters.
- Information and Referral
- Refers for health services.
- Low Vision Services
- Provides personalized, comprehensive low vision services, including low vision clinical exams, counseling the patient on their eye condition, explaining the eye report, examining for the overall health of the eye, updating the prescription for eyeglasses, and administering medications. A certified low vision therapist provides functional low vision evaluation. Patients may be matched and instructed on the appropriate optical and non-optical devices that will help them meet their individual needs. All follow-up instruction is done in the patientâ€™s home.
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Offeres instruction in braille.