Mississippi Department of Rehabilitation Services: Office of Vocational Rehabilitation for the Blind
1281 Highway 51 North
Madison, MS 39110
(601) 853 5300
The mission of MDRS OVRB is to meet the personal and vocational needs specific to those who have a severe loss of sight through a variety of special programs.
The Independent Living Services Program provides services to assist legally blind individuals adjust to their blindness by becoming more able to care for their specific needs.
The eligibility criterion for the Older Blind Program is age 55+ and legal blindness. The Part B eligibility requirements are legal blindness, significant secondary disability, and any age. For both programs, gainful employment may not be feasible but independent living goals are feasible.
Dorothy Young, Director, firstname.lastname@example.org, 601 853 5245
Lynda Hall, OIB Manager, email@example.com
- Offers counseling by specialized counselors for people who are blind or visually impaired within each of the nine Vocational Rehabilitation Districts.
- Employment/Job Training
- Offers job training and placement.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides statewide program for independent living services, itinerant teaching program, assistive technology evaluation, mobility training, personal management. Provides independent living services for persons age 55 and older.
- Community Outreach Programs
- Offers itinerant teacher program and provides training and instruction in homes and communities.
- Provides therapeutic treatment for older blind individuals.
- In-Home Services
- Provides home instruction for the elderly.