New Mexico Commission for the Blind
2905 Rodeo Park Drive, East
Building 4, Suite 100
Santa Fe, NM 87505
(505) 476 4479
The mission of the New Mexico Commission for the Blind is to enable persons who are blind to achieve vocational, economic and social equality by providing career preparation, training in the skills of blindness and above all, promoting and conveying the belief that blindness is not a barrier to successful employment, or to living an independent and meaningful life.
Lucy Alexander, Deputy Director, Adult Orientation Center, Lucy.Alexander@state.nm.us, 575 437 0401
James Salas, Deputy Director, Vocational Rehabilitation, James.Salas@state.nm.us, 505 841 8844 ext.251
Krista Mireles, Manager, NEWSLINE Program, Krista.Mireles@state.nm.us
Greg Trapp, Executive Director, Greg.Trapp@state.nm.us
Diana Martinez, Business Enterprise Manager, Dianaa.Martinez@state.nm.us, 505 841 8844 ext.32208
Daphne Mitchell, VR Program Manager, Daphne.Mitchell@state.nm.us, 505 841 8844 ext.32253
Kelly Burma, Skills Center and Technology for Children Coordinator, Kelly.Burma@state.nm.us, 505 841 8844 ext.32277
- As part of vocational rehabilitation activities the Commission may , when warranted, referrals for to psychological testing and evaluation. Counselors provide individual counseling to consumers, and may contract/refer for consultation to other agencies on counseling/social work services.
- Employment/Job Training
- Provides pre-vocational evaluation, career and skill counseling, occupational skill development, job retention, job retraining, vocational placement, follow-up service, vending facility training and placement.
- Recreation Services
- Offers recreational activities (hiking, rock climbing, and swimming) in conjunction with Orientation Center and student summer program. The student summer program and the VR program serves individuals 14 years of age and older.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides independent living training and counseling for those who are legally blind and who request same.
- Information and Referral
- Refers for counseling/social work services, other health services, and recreational services.
- Offers vocational rehabilitation assessment and technical assessment.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Offers computer training.
- Consultation/Technical Program Assistance
- Technical assistance available.
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Provides basic braille instruction with adult literacy when necessary.
- Reading Services
- Community Outreach Programs
- Conducts general outreach activities.