Bucks County Association for the Blind & Visually Impaired
400 Freedom Drive
Newtown, PA 18940
(215) 968 9400
BCABVI is a designated senior center and provides a full range of services for visually impaired seniors. In addition to the services listed, we also are a nutrition site, providing a balanced meal at noon.
Anne Marie Hyer, Executive Director, email@example.com
- Offers evaluation, individual/group counseling, peer support.
- Recreation Services
- Offers adult recreation programs.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides instruction in home management and personal management, braille, handwriting, typing, remedial education in client's home and community. Refers for certain other rehabilitation services.
- Provides daily living skills assessments. Offers vision and hearing screenings.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Provides vocational and non-vocational computer training.
- Consultation/Technical Program Assistance
- Provides technical assistance and consultation to private businesses and public agencies on matters specific to vision loss.
- Information and Referral
- Provides information about all state and local service providers. Does referrals and follows-up.
- Library Services
- Maintains a lending library of audio books, described videos, and training materials.
- Community Outreach Programs
- Regular presence at senior centers to perform vision screenings and public education. Participates in health fairs and distributes newsletters. Has physician education program to provide information about low vision rehabilitation.
- Assistive Products
- Sells watches, talking clocks, non-prescription low vision devices, and recreational products. Products for sale on site.
- Housing Services
- Provides housing assistance for seniors in coordination with Bucks County Area Agency on Aging and integration into senior centers.
- Low Vision Services
- Operates two low vision clinics in Bucks County, located in Newtown PA and Telford PA. Offers a full range of services including low vision evaluations performed by specially trained low vision optometrists, a comprehensive technology room where patients can receive hands on demonstration of equipment and case management that provides access to numerous support services. Offers low vision evaluations, occupational and rehabilitation therapy. Provides magnifiers, closed circuit televisions, writing guides, bold-line paper, shields.
- Support Groups
- Offers peer support groups for macular degeneration, diabetes, men, women, adjustment to blindness, and young adults.
- Braille/Electronic/Audio/Large Print Production
- Braille and audio tape production
- Transportation Services
- Transportation to and from Rehab Center for programs, to doctor, pharmacy, grocery store, and essential errands.