U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: Eastern Blind Rehabilitation Center
VA Connecticut Healthcare System
124 950 Campbell Avenue
West Haven, CT 06516
(203) 932 5711 ext: 2175
Received a second 3-year CARF accreditation as of September 2003.
- Assists in making an emotional and behavioral adjustment to blindness through individual counseling sessions and group therapy meetings.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Offers a variety of skill courses designed to help blinded veterans achieve a realistic level of independence. These skill areas include orientation and mobility, communication skills, activities of daily living, manual skills, visual skills, computer access training and social/recreational activities.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Computer Access Training is provided to all qualified applicants after they have completed the rehabilitation program. Training introduces veteran to assistive technology.
- Full-time nursing staff is available at center twenty-four hours a day to assist veterans with medical concerns and train on self medication, hypertension, and diabetes. Hospital Support of ancillary services such as audiology, and occupational therapy.
- Low Vision Services
- Offers low vision services.
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Provides braille instruction.
- Employment/Job Training
- Offers training for employment.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides O&M training.
- Information and Referral
- Refers to programs for seniors.
- Support Groups
- Has a support group.