New Vision for Independence
9501 US Hwy 441
Leesburg, FL 34788
(352) 435 5040
New Vision for Independence, Inc. is a non-profit agency providing free instruction, vision rehabilitation, and support services to visually impaired or blind adults and their families in Lake and Sumter Counties.
New Vision for Independence is committed to excellence in providing rehabilitation, community education, and support services for people with low vision or blindness and their families to promote independence, acceptance, and self-confidence.
Chantel Buck, Executive Director, email@example.com
- Information and Referral
- Assists students in obtaining numerous community resources including free telephone directory assistance, handicapped parking permits, property and income tax exemptions, Talking Books, and ID cards, as needed.
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Braille instructors offer an alternative to visually looking up a phone number, reading a favorite recipe, and reading books and magazines.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Offers instruction in the operation of low vision and speech output programs that will enable a student to use the Internet, send and receive e-mail, write letters, etc. Computer programs include ZoomText - a screen magnification program for those with some usable vision - and JAWS - for those students without sight.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Offers training that will enable the visually impaired to travel safely, efficiently, and with dignity in their own home, in their community, or around the world.
Instruction is provided indoors and outside, in homes, residential neighborhoods, small business areas, vehicular traffic areas, and other environments where visually impaired and blind individuals need to learn to cross streets and walk safely from one destination to another.
- Low Vision Services
- Demonstrates use of various low vision aids and appliances in independent living skills classes.
Maintains a small store with new and used adaptive aids.
- Support Groups
- Nine groups meet in locations throughout Lake and Sumter Counties. Ongoing assistance, educational support, speakers, activities, and peer support provided monthly.
HAWTHORNE VISA group
1st Thursday at 10:00 am (does not meet from June to Sept)
Hawthorne Community Recreation Center, Leesburg
Inform the gatehouse you are attending the VISA meeting
Jackie @ 352-323-8193
1st Thursday at 1:00 pm
Bridgeport Recreation Center (across from Palmer Legends)
Ed @ 352-751-1115
1st Wednesday at 11:30 am (no meeting in November or December)
For lunch IHOP across from ViaPort Mall, Leesburg
Call Doris Schott @ 352-314-3078 or firstname.lastname@example.org
CALL-IN Support Group
3rd Tuesday at 12:30 am
Call in at 1-866-740-1260 and enter the following access code: 4355040
Questions? Call Jayne Maravola @ 352-435-5040 or email@example.com
LAKEVIEW TERRACE, Community Building, Altoona
Jan, March, May, July, Sept, Nov @ 1:00 pm
Inform the gatehouse you are attending the visually impaired support group
Call Leslie Stephens@ (352) 669-2133 extension 2242
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Adaptive training to help individuals acquire skills and knowledge to manage their daily lives, instruction and guidance thaqt helps individuals seekign employment to acquire skills and knowledge to prepare for, enter, engage in, or retain gainful employment.