Alabama Department of Rehabilitation Services
602 South Lawrence Street
Montgomery Alabama 1 36104
(334) 293 7500
Alabama Department of Rehabilitation Services ( ADRS ) is a state agency that provides services to children and adults with disabilities through a system of service delivery. ADRS provides individualized services to Alabamians of all ages in their homes, schools, the workplace, and the community, ADRS assists every person in achieving his or her maximum potential.
Alabama's Early Intervention System was created under the federal Individuals with Disabilities Education Act ( IDEA ), the same law that regulates special education services. Early intervention in Alabama promotes a system of services for eligible children and their families by coordinating and supplementing programs and services that are already in place in our state. The federal government, state government, other state agencies, and third-party payers (like private insurance carriers) provide financial assistance for the development and implementation of this system.
Bedarius Bell,Coordinator of Deaf/Hard of Hearing/ Deaf-Blind,334 293 7128
Jane Elizabeth Burdeshaw,Commissioner
Curtis Glisson,Assistant Commissioner, Blind and Deaf Services,firstname.lastname@example.org,334 293 7072
Elizabeth Prince,Part C Coordinator, Early Intervention Program,email@example.com,334 293 7166
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Offers instruction in braille.
- OASIS Program develops local support groups to encourage older adults who are losing their vision to share information and support others who are adjusting to vision loss.
- Provides instruction in the use of adaptive equipment and techniques for basic living skills such as low vision skills, communication skills, use of assistive technology, personal and home management, and adaptive leisure time activities. Administers OASIS Program (Older Alabamians System of Information and Services), which assists visually impaired persons 55 and older to live independently in their homes.
- Provides specialized employment-related services and training to help students and adults with disabilities become employed.
- Provides public education and awareness regarding services for people who are blind. Also provides referrals to other programs for seniors.
- Offers support groups for older adults.
- Provides O&M instruction.